While celebrating Black culture is woven into the very fabric of Bounce and Bounce XL‘s programming year-round, February holds a special significance. Throughout Black History Month 2024, these networks proudly present a curated selection of movies and specials that illuminate the triumphs and struggles of the African American experience.
But Bounce goes a step further, dedicating each Friday night in February to spotlighting everyday heroes. These are the narratives of remarkable individuals, who defied adversity and dared to raise their voices for change.
Bounce XL, which streams the best in Black television, will also showcase specials and documentaries featuring Former President Barack and Michelle Obama, Eddie Murphy, Will Smith, Chris Rock and Tyler Perry.
Friday, Feb. 2
- “Belle” starring Gugu Mbatha-Raw is the story of an illegitimate, mixed-race daughter of a British admiral who plays an important role in the campaign to abolish slavery in England.
- “The Help,” starring Viola Davis, Octavia Spencer and Emma Stone, is the tale of an aspiring author during the civil rights movement of the 1960s who decides to write a book detailing the African American maids’ point of view on the white families for which they work, and the hardships they go through on a daily basis.
Friday, Feb. 9
- “From The Rough” stars Taraji P. Henson as Dr. Catana Starks, who becomes the first woman and first African American woman to coach a men’s college golf team.
- In “Pride,” the determined Jim Ellis portrayed by Terrence Howard starts a swim team for troubled teens at the Philadelphia Department of Recreation.
Friday, Feb. 16
- “Miss Virginia” stars Uzo Aduba as a struggling inner-city mother who sacrifices everything to give her son a good education.
- “Kings” is set following the 1992 Rodney King trial verdict and riots. It follows a tough and protective single mother (Halle Berry) who forms an unlikely alliance with the only white man in her Los Angeles neighborhood.
Friday, Feb. 23
- In “Devil In A Blue Dress,” “Easy” Rollins (Denzel Washington) is hired to find a woman and gets mixed up in a murderous political scandal; based on the book written by Walter Mosley.