URBAN ONE HONORS, will pay special homage to the International Sweethearts of Rhythm. The critically acclaimed, all-female jazz band of the 1930s included Helen Jones Woods, a founding member and mother of Urban One Founder and Chairwoman, Cathy Hughes. The Sweethearts band, comprised of 17 ethnically diverse members who achieved international accolades despite discrimination, sexism and Jim Crow – to become symbols of success against adversity.
URBAN ONE HONORS will air on Sunday, May 16, 2021 at 9 p.m. ET/8C on TV One and will be simulcast for the first time on TV One’s sister network, CLEO TV.
Watch the Urban One Honors Teaser Trailer
The annual awards program will feature three performances dedicated to 'The Sweethearts.' Each musical selection will commemorate electrifying performances of the jazz and soul ensemble's hit singles with a modern twist. The ceremony will also feature with talented, contemporary, female performers including Jazmine Sullivan, Da Brat, Le'Andria Johnson, Avery Sunshine, and the all-female house band Kim Burse and the KB Players.
Grammy-Award-winning gospel artist Erica Campbell and award-winning journalist, author, and syndicated columnist Roland Martin will host the event. This year's theme is 'Women Leading the Change' and will highlight the extraordinary contributions of women in business, media, health, politics, and community outreach, who are leading impactful change within the Black community. Now in its third year, Urban One Honors was created to acknowledge and pay homage to individuals and organizations whose work significantly impacts culture and society- at large.
This year's URBAN ONE HONORS will commemorate the myriad achievements of women leaders who are blazing trails and creating new pathways for others in their respective areas of expertise. Categories of recognition reflect the tireless effort and triumphant accomplishments achieved by the honorees and include:
· Voting Rights Champion dedicated to a fearless leader whose efforts help to build political infrastructure by turning out voters and protecting their votes.
· Business Alchemist presented to a leader tapped for successfully breaking the glass ceiling to blaze new trails in corporate America.
· Investigative Journalism Crusader bestowed upon a media maven who is reframing the national conversation by covering the impediments and contributions made by Black Americans.
· Health Equality Advocate awarded to a champion of health who answered the call to eliminate institutional barriers preventing healthcare to those in her community.
· Reparations Ambassador who is working to break down systemic racism and barriers that have held African Americans back.
· Family Needs Ambassador presented to a resilient provider of direct service and resources to individuals in crisis within the community she serves.
The inspiring night of excellence will also feature exciting musical performances, unprecedented collaborations, and surprise appearances to be announced in the coming months.
Urban One Honors - TV One - Cleo TV - International Sweethearts of Rhythm - Avery Sunshine - Jazmine Sullivan - Da Brat - Leandria Johnson - Kim Burse - Erica Campbell - Roland Martin - Cathy Hughes - 2021 Urban One Honors - all female jazz band - jazz bands of the 30s - Helen Jones Woods - Jermaine Sain - When We Speak TV - urban one honors performances - urban one 2021 tickets - tv one urban honors
READERS OF THIS ARTICLE ALSO ENJOYED
Jermaine Sain, shares his childhood memory of calling the radio station and requesting "My Liberty", recorded in 1982, by Southeast Inspirational Choir with Yolanda Adams on lead vocals.
Celebrity Chef Kelli Ferrell, owner of Nana's Chicken and Waffles, speaks with When We Speak TV about running a successful restaurant in metro Atlanta. Not only did we enjoy the convo, the food was absolutely amazing!
With all the great joys of life that the Little Women: Atlanta ladies experience, this season they also join together to endure great sorrow when they lose one of their own, their beloved friend Minnie.
When We Speak TV is an independently owned network based in Atlanta, Georgia, dedicated to providing unique media solutions for individuals, organizations, and venues.